What is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone Therapy is the use of medical grade ozone, a highly reactive form of pure oxygen, to create a curative response in the body. When a body is “sick,” the potential for healing, renewal and regeneration is blocked. Ozone provides the body the potential to renew, regenerate and heal. The reactive properties of ozone stimulate the body to remove many of these impediments, allowing the body to do what it does best – heal itself.
Ozone Therapy has been used in Europe for over fifty years. It was even used here in the United States in a limited capacity in the early part of the 20th century. There are professional medical ozone Therapy societies in over ten countries worldwide. Recently, the International Scientific Committee on Ozone Therapy (ISCO3) was formed to help establish standardized scientific principles for ozone Therapy.
Ozone Therapy was re-introduced into the United States in the early 80’s, and has been increasingly used in recent decades. It has been found useful in various diseases:
Brief Summary of Ozone Benefits
- Ozone is Antiaging (some Antiaging effects can be attributed to the following actions…)
- Ozone Increases Oxygenation of Body Cells
- Ozone Modulates (regulates) the Immune System
- Ozone Increases Energy Production in Body Cells
- Ozone Increases the Activity of “Anti-Oxidant Enzyme Systems” in the Body
- Ozone Reduces the level of acidity of the body
- Ozone kills Bacteria and Viruses on contact
- Ozone Kills Cancer cells on contact
- Ozone activates the immune system in infectious diseases
- Ozone improves cell use of oxygen reducing ischemia in cardiovascular diseases
- Ozone causes release of growth factors stimulating damaged joints and degenerative discs to regenerate.
- Ozone can dramatically reduce or even eliminate many cases of chronic pain through its action on pain receptors
- Ozone can greatly enhance the benefit of other treatments such as chiropractic, acupuncture, etc.
Applications and Methods
- Major auto-hemotherapy
– blood is drawn into saline and mixed with ozone and reinfused into a major vessel
- Minor auto-hemotherapy
– blood is mixed with ozone and injected into the muscle
– ozonated saline or blood is injected into muscle, around joints, SQ, acupuncture points, etc.
- Rectal/vaginal insufflation
- Limb/body bagging
– body or parts of the body are bathed in humidified ozone
- Ozonated liquids
– saline can be used topically, SQ injection or IV.
– water can be ozonated and consumed or used topically.
- Intra-articular administration
– for joint healing called prolo-therapy/sclerotherapy.
- Disc protrusions
– Prolo-therapy can be injected at interspinous spaces and around facets with the goal to help stabilize the joint and accelerate healing
- Ozonated olive oil
– ozone is bubbled through the oil to create ozonides in the thickened oil end product that is stable for the life of the oil product.
The ozonides are not irritating and thus can be applied topically even to eyes!!
- Subconjunctival injection
– for corneal ulcers and dry eye conditions.
- Gingival and tooth apex injection
– can eliminate deep tooth infections.
- Urinary bladder insufflation
– for chronic inflammation or cystitis.
- Auricular or ear direct application
– humidified ozone and ozonides through a device designed to directly apply to ear canal. Infections and vestibular disease/vertigo.
- Intraperitoneal infusion
- Direct IV infusion into a major vessel
– equine use only!